Danny Lee Lives

Sunday, December 13, 2009

"Transsiberian"

I like all types of films. But thrillers usually top my list of favorite genres, and while flipping through On-Demand, this little co-production gem pleasantly surprised me. The IMDB logline reads "A Trans-Siberian train journey from China to Moscow becomes a thrilling chase of deception and murder when an American couple encounters a mysterious pair of fellow travelers." "Transsiberian" stars Woody Harrelson as a geeked out tourist, Ben Kingsly as a Russian drug mobster, and Emily Mortimer as our heroin, who deftly becomes the murderer in the film - a twist I never expected. Without spoiling the film too much, I was very impressed with the quality of writing and in particular, Emily's performance, which contained so many great subtleties. I imagine some film theory classes around the world using this film as a good example of substantive use of filmic space, being confined on the train, which lent an uneasy suspense that played well with the film. I recommend watching, here's the trailer..

No comments: